Taking A Vacation
Protect Yourself And Your Family On Vacation
You’re on vacation to get away. To get away from work, the house and responsibility. You want to relax and not think about any of those things while you’re away.
Invest an hour in some preparation to set yourself up for true peace of mind. And know that if something happens, you’ll be protected.
Here are a few thoughts to consider as you plan your trip. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call one of our experts at Secure Insurance Solutions.
- Rental Car? We recommend you buy the insurance
- Your Homeowners Insurance or Tenants Insurance can cover you even away from home
- If you’re leaving the country, your health insurance might not come along.
Do You Need Rental Car Insurance?
You’re off the plane and ready to start your adventures. You’re the next in line at the rental car counter. And it’s finally your turn.
Then, the question: “Would you like to purchase the insurance for your rental car?” What do you do?
Your credit card may provide coverage for rental cars, but unless you really know the fine print, you’re not sure. (Contact them before you leave for your trip!) And you have Auto Insurance. But did you know that your auto insurance covers you at home? I know you probably don’t want to start your vacation spending more money before you even get on the road, but it’s better than what you could pay if something goes wrong.
When it comes to Rental Car Insurance, our answer is easy and straightforward: Buy the insurance. Start your vacation off on the right foot, and don’t get caught off-guard with a surprise.
Loss Damage Waiver
You have the option to purchase a “Loss Damage Waiver” (LDW) from the rental car company. This waiver relieves you from financial liability for the loss of, or damage to the rental car and the parts and accessories that come with it.
So why do we tell you to buy the LDW?
- If you cause damage to the rental car they won’t wait until a claim is submitted and processed. They want their money right away and that charge will go on your credit card. But not with a LDW.
- The rental car company can charge you for “loss of use” for the time the car you damaged is in the repair shop. But not with a LDW.
- If your personal auto insurance policy doesn’t have collision/comprehensive coverage, there won’t be any for the rental car. So if you didn’t buy the LDW, you’re responsible.
- Even if you do have collision/comprehensive coverage on your personal Auto coverage, you’ll have to pay a deductible and face the possibility of a rate increase at renewal time. But not if you buy a LDW.
Make sure you read the fine print of the LDW. Understand any of the exclusions like:
- You can’t let anyone but listed drives operate the car because others aren’t covered
- You’re not covered if you drive while intoxicated
- You may not be covered on certain sections of road or off-road (such as the infamous road to Hana on Maui)
At Secure Insurance Solutions we’re here to answer your questions about Auto Insurance. One thing we can answer right now: your personal Car Insurance will only extend protection in the US and Canada. If you travel abroad to Europe, Asia or South America and plan to rent a car, it’s best to buy maximum liability limits through the rental company’s coverage.
Homeowners Insurance And Tenants Insurance Covers You Away From Home
You’re so ready for this trip. Everything is packed and you’re on your way out the door. A vacation’s supposed to be an escape, so you haven’t even thought about how your stuff can be lost or stolen while you’re on your trip.
We’re not talking about your stuff at home — we’re talking about the stuff you take with you. Your home insurance or rental insurance covers your valuables lost or stolen while you’re on vacation. So that camera you drop over a ledge as you climb up on a boulder for that perfect shot? Or the expensive sunglasses that drop off your head into the ocean as you’re bending over to check out the fish. You’re covered.
Even the stuff that you leave in your car — and not just on a road trip, but every day — is covered by your Homeowners or Tenants Insurance policy. Now we’re not saying leave stuff in your car — don’t. And remember to lock your doors. But if something happens, know that you’re covered.
There’s more: your Rental or Homeowners Insurance gives you liability protection. So you won’t be held liable if you accidentally damaged somebody else’s property or, worse, hurt somebody. Medical expenses or loss of income claims could put you in debt for the rest of your life. There go any more vacations!
A Homeowners or Rental Insurance policy can help you out. Don’t delay: call Secure Insurance Solutions at 519-986-3250 for more information.
Your Health Insurance May Not Travel
So that black diamond ski hill didn’t look so bad. Until you started down. Next thing you know you’re laying next to a tree and your leg is bent at a weird angle.
The patrol comes to help you and at the bottom of the hill an ambulance is waiting. Up to now all you’ve been thinking about is the pain and the embarrassment, but now it hits you.
Does my Health Insurance cover this?
It may not. And even if it does provide basic coverage for hospital or emergency costs, it might not cover medical evacuation back to Ontario if that’s needed.
When you’re planning a trip abroad, call your health care provider to see if your coverage is extended to your destination. Ask if it:
- Covers medical payments abroad
- Includes high-risk activities like skiing, scuba-diving, paragliding or mountain-climbing
- Pays foreign doctors and hospitals directly (or if the foreign service provider will charge your credit card first)
Depending on how your individual health insurance plan works, it might be a good idea to buy a medical travel insurance policy to cover you. For a major trip, you also have the option to purchase a travel insurance package that includes medical coverage, trip cancellation or interruption coverage, lost or stolen baggage coverage, or even accidental death coverage, among others
You can get affordable medical travel insurance. It’s worth it — you can really relax worry-free.